Metal adsorption in aqueous media using Moringa oleifera Lam. seeds produced in Ecuador as an alternative method for water treatment
This work explores the technical viability in the use ofMoringa oleifera Lam. seeds produced in Ecuador as an adsorbent medium for copper (Cu), nickel (Ni) and chromium (Cr) present in water that could be implemented in future Water Resource Recovery Facilities in Ecuador. The seeds were prepared following a sequence of washing, drying, crushing, sieving, rewashing, and final drying. Two treatments were performed based on particle size. Treatment 1 consisted on a mixture of 70% of particles larger than 2 mm and 30% of particles between 1 and 2 mm; while Treatment 2 consisted only on 1 - 2 mm particles. Batch experiments were performed with metal concentrations ranging from 10 to 150 ppm, a dose of 1.00 g of MO per liter, and mechanical stirring for 1 hour. Treatment 2 showed to be more favorable to metal removal and the Langmuir model better characterized adsorption of the three metals.The best kinetic description of the three metals is that of a pseudo first-order reaction where the adsorption capacities are 50.93 mg Cu/g MO, 30.14 mg Ni/g MO, and 40.98 mg Cr/g MO, with removal percentage of 37 - 53 %, 39 - 76%, and 11 - 33%, respectively.
- C. S. T. Araújo et al., "Characterization and use of Moringa oleifera seeds as biosorbent for removing metal ions from aqueous effluents," Water Sci. Technol., vol. 62, no. 9, pp. 2198-2203, 2010.
- B. Volesky and Z. R. Holan, "Biosorption of heavy metals," Biotechnol. Prog., vol. 11, no. 3, pp. 235-250, May 1995.
- N. Ahalya, T. V. Ramachandra, and R. D. Kanamadi, "Biosorption of Heavy Metals," Res. J. Chem. Environ., vol. 7, pp. 71-79, 2003.
- M. I. Sanchis, "Eliminación de los metales pesados en aguas mediante bioadsorción. Evaluación de materiales y modelación del proceso," Universita de ValÃ¨ncia, 2010.
- C. Martín, G. Martín, A. García, T. Fernández, E. Hernández, and J. Puls, "Potenciales aplicaciones de Moringa oleifera. Una revisión crítica," Pastos y Forrajes, vol. 36, no. 2, pp. 137-149, 2013.
- B. Volesky, "Detoxification of metal-bearing effluents : biosorption for the next century," Hydrometallurgy, vol. 59, pp. 203-216, 2001.
- FAO, "Traditional Crop of the Month: Moringa," Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations, 2016. [Online]. Available: http://www.fao.org/traditional-crops/moringa/en/?amp%3Butm_medium=web&%3Butm_source=faohomepage.
- K. Ravikumar and A. K. Sheeja, "Heavy Metal Removal from Water using Moringa oleifera Seed Coagulant and Double Filtration," Int. J. Sci. Eng. Res., vol. 4, no. 5, pp. 10-13, 2013.
- M. Matouq, N. Jildeh, M. Qtaishat, M. Hindiyeh, and M. Q. Al Syouf, "The adsorption kinetics and modeling for heavy metals removal from wastewater by Moringa pods," J. Environ. Chem. Eng., vol. 3, no. 2, pp. 775-784, Jun. 2015.
- L. Gopalakrishnan, K. Doriya, and D. S. Kumar, "Moringa Oleifera: A Review on Nutritive Importance and its Medicinal Application," Food Sci. Hum. Wellness, vol. 5, no. 2, pp. 1-8, 2016.
- B. Garcia-Fayos, J. M. Arnal, J. Piris, and M. Sancho, "Valorization of Moringa oleifera seed husk as biosorbent: isotherm and kinetics studies to remove cadmium and copper from aqueous solutions," Desalin. Water Treat., vol. 57, no. 48-49, pp. 23382-23396, Oct. 2016.
- B. García-Fayos, J. Arnal, and S. Alandia, "Estudio de la descontaminación de efluentes líquidos con elevadas concentraciones de metales pesados," 2012, pp. 1098-1108.
- "Ecuamoringa," 2017. [Online]. Available: http://www.ecuamoringa.com/.
- "La moringa en Ecuador," El Universo, 17-May-2015. [Online]. Available: http://www.larevista.ec/orientacion/salud/la-moringa-en-ecuador.
- A. F. Souza, L. D. CaÌ‚mara, and A. J. Silva Neto, "Modeling of Batch and Continuous Adsorption Systems by Kinetic Mechanisms," in Heat and Mass Transfer - Modeling and Simulation, InTech, 2011.
- S.-F. Lo, S.-Y. Wang, M.-J. Tsai, and L.-D. Lin, "Adsorption capacity and removal efficiency of heavy metal ions by Moso and Ma bamboo activated carbons," Chem. Eng. Res. Des., vol. 90, no. 9, pp. 1397-1406, 2012.
- I. Langmuir, "The Constitution and Fundamental Properties of Solids and Liquids. Part I. Solids," J. Am. Chem. Soc., vol. 38, no. 11, pp. 2221-2295, Nov. 1916.
- I. Langmuir, "The Adsorption of Gases on Plane Surfaces of Glass, Mica and Platinum," J. Am. Chem. Soc., vol. 40, no. 9, pp. 1361-1403, Sep. 1918.
- H. Freundlich, Colloid and Capillary Chemistry, 3rd ed. London: Methuen, 1926.
- H. Freundlich, Kapillarchemie. Leipzig, 1930.
- Temkin, Zhurnal Fizicheskoi Khimii, vol. 4. 1933.
- M. I. Temkin and W. M. Phyzhev, Acta Physicochim. URSS, vol. 12. 1940.
- M. M. Dubinin and L. W. Radushkevich, Rend. Acad. Sci. URSS, vol. 55. 1947.
- M. M. Dubinin, "Usp. Khim.," vol. 21, p. 513, 1952.
- S. Liu, Bioprocess Engineering: Kinetics, Sustainability, and Reactor Design. Elsevier, 2013.
- X. Chen, "Modeling of experimental adsorption isotherm data," Inf., vol. 6, no. 1, pp. 14-22, 2015.
- A. Eucken, Verhandlungen der Deutschen Physikalischen Gesellschaft, vol. 16. 1914.
- A. DÄ…browski, "Adsorption "” from theory to practice," Adv. Colloid Interface Sci., vol. 93, no. 1, pp. 135-224, 2001.
- M. Polanyi, Verhandlungen der Deutschen Physikalischen Gesellschaft, vol. 16. 1914.
- M. Polanyi, "Verhandlungen der Deutschen Physikalischen Gesellschaft," vol. 18, p. 55, 1916.
- M. Pinzón-Bedoya and L. Vera-Villamizar, "Modelamiento de la cinética de bioadsorción de Cr (III) usando cáscara de naranja," Dyna, vol. 76, no. 160, pp. 95-106, 2009.
- B. N. Aloo and K. E. Yator, "Effects of Moringa oleiferaseeds on Escherichia coli, Enterobacter aerogenes, pHand turbidity in water from selected sources in Kitale town, Kenya," 2014.
- A. . Olayemi and R. O. Alabi, "Studies on traditional water purification using Moringa oleifera seeds," African Study Monograph, vol. 15, no. 3. pp. 135-142, 1994.
- S. M. Mangale, S. G. Chonde, a S. Jadhav, and P. D. Raut, "Study of Moringa oleifera ( Drumstick ) seed as natural Absorbent and Antimicrobial agent for River water treatment," J. Nat. Prod. Plant Resourse, vol. 2, no. 1, pp. 89-100, 2012.
- S. Senthilkumaar, S. Bharathi, D. Nithyanandhi, and V. Subburam, "Biosorption of toxic heavy metals from aqueous solutions," 2000.
- A. C. Landázuri, J. L. Quevedo, M. C. Torres, L. F. Mayorga, and L. A. Gómez-Ávila, "Muestreo y Caracterización de la Descarga "˜Central Iñaquito"™, Representativa de la Cuenca Urbana de la Quebrada El Batán: Quito-Ecuador," in Congreso Interamericano de Ingeniería Sanitaria y Ambiental (AIDIS), 2014, pp. 1-12.
Los datos de descargas todavía no están disponibles.