# CARLA 2020
## Latin America Conference on High Performance Computing (CARLA) 2020
Cuenca, Ecuador, XXX
CARLA is an international symposium aimed at providing a forum to foster the growth and strength of the High Performance Computing (HPC)
community in Latin America through the exchange and dissemination of new ideas, techniques, and research in HPC and its applications areas.
Started in 2014, Carla has become the flagship conference for HPC in the region. We invite the international community to share its advances on both HPC and
Artificial Intelligence (AI) as those two key areas are becoming the predominant engine for innovation and development.
This year the Latin America High Performance Computing Conference (CARLA 2020) will be held in Cuenca from September 2 to 4 in coincidence with TICAL 2020.
We expect contributions from faculty members, researchers, specialists and graduate students around the world.
CARLA 2020 will feature two exciting tracks: HPC (High Performance Computing) and AI (Artificial Intelligence).
The latter is a new addition to the regular CARLA program and focuses on the synergies between AI applications and HPC.
These synergies are of course bidirectional.
On one hand, IA need HPC to run its greedy algorithms to solve a large variety of problems in multiple domains.
On the other hand, HPC is finding its way to increase its impact on our society thanks to the multiple existent IA applications.
In both cases, the complexity of AI algorithms often requires the use of HPC to tackle realistic problems where both the amount of data and the number of relationships among data elements could be monumental.
The conference program includes keynote and invited talks from academy and industry, full-paper and poster sessions
(presenting both mature work and new ideas in development), workshops, tutorials, discussion spaces, and more.
## Important Dates
Paper submission deadline: May 1, 2020
Paper author notification: May 25, 2020
Poster submission deadline: June 10, 2020
Poster author notification: June 24, 2020
Camera-ready version: August 1, 2020
Conference dates: September 2 to September 4 2020
Track #1: High Performance Computing (HPC)
Topics of interest include, but are not limited to:
* Parallel Algorithms
* Multicore Architectures and Accelerators
* Parallel Programming Techniques
* Grid, Cloud, and Edge Computing
* HPC Education and Outreach
* HPC Infrastructure and Datacenters
* Large-scale Distributed Systems
* Scientific and Industrial Computing
* High Performance Computing Applications and Tools
* Big Data, Data Management, and Visualization
* Quantum computing
Track #2: Artificial Intelligence
Topics of interest include, but are not limited to:
* Deep Learning
* Evolutionary Computing
* Fuzzy Systems
* Intelligence and Cybersecurity
* Knowledge Representation and Reasoning
* Ambient Intelligence
* Machine Learning
* Natural Language Processing
* Neural Networks
* Social Network Analysis
* Uncertainty in AI
* Cognitive Systems
* Data Mining
* Data Science
## Submission Guidelines
Authors should consult USFQ PRESS authors' guidelines and use their proceedings templates, either for LaTeX or for MSWord, for the preparation of their papers:
* Paper Submissions must be in English, the only official language of the conference.
* Regular papers should not exceed 15 pages (including references).
* They must be formatted in the LNCS style of Springer Verlag LNCS style:
* All submitted research papers will be peer-reviewed by at least 3 reviewers.
* Only contributions that are not submitted elsewhere or currently under review will be considered.
* Only accepted contributions that are presented at the conference will be included in the proceedings.
* Paper submission is handled electronically with OJS /PKP workflow system
* All papers accepted for publication will be included in the CARLA 2020 Proceedings, to be published in Avances en Ciencias e Ingenierías ACI.
Avances en Ciencias e Ingenierías (ISSN: 1390-5384) is a multidisciplinary scientific journal, with an editorial peer-review process, indexed, and published under an open access license. It publishes original works in different fields of the hard sciences, physical sciences, biological sciences, and engineering applications, as well as research at the interface of these disciplines.
ISSN (printed version): 1390-5384 | ISSN (electronic version): 2528-7788
Permanent link: http://avances.usfq.edu.ec
Outstanding papers will be published in Springer CCIS Series -- Communications in Computer and Information Science. CCIS is abstracted/indexed in Scopus, DBLP, Google Scholar, EI-Compendex, Mathematical Reviews and SCImago. CCIS volumes are also submitted to be included in ISI Proceedings.
## General Chairs
Jaime Puente, Lenovo, Ecuador/USA
## Steering Committee
Mateo Valero, Barcelona Supercomputing Center, Spain
Gonzalo Hernández, University of Santiago, Chile
Carla Osthoff, National Laboratory for Scientific Computing, Brazil
Philippe Navaux, Federal University of Rio Grande do Sul, Brazil
Isidoro Gitler, Center for Research and Advanced Studies of the National Polytechnic Institute, Mexico
Esteban Mocskos, University of Buenos Aires, Argentina
Nicolas Wolovick, National University of Cordoba, Argentina
Sergio Nesmachnow, University of the Republic, Uruguay
Alvaro de la Ossa Osegueda, University of Costa Rica, Costa Rica
Esteban Meneses, National High Technology Center, Costa Rica
Carlos Jaime Barrios Hernández, Industrial University of Santander, Colombia
Harold Enrique Castro Barrera, University of Los Andes, Colombia
Gilberto Javier Díaz Toro, Industrial University of Santander, Colombia
Luis Alberto Núñez de Villavicencio Martínez, Industrial University of Santander, Colombia